Are your little ones bored these long summer days? Or are you starting to run out of ideas to keep them busy? Well, I've compiled a list of fun things to do, when you're in doubt! Since I work part-time, from home, I need to find ways to entertain my two and a half year old while I'm working. Since we have the twins, I also want to be able to do fun things with her on our own, just mama and Ellie time. Below, are some super FUN & EASY things I've tried with my toddler to keep her busy and most of all HAPPY! Enjoy!
1. Pouring soapy water into measuring cups and buckets! Inside or better yet, OUTSIDE! Don't forget to bring trays and towels to dry with and sit on.
2. Make a bird feeder out of a toilet paper roll, peanut butter and bird seeds!
3. Make music!! You can use play instruments, real instruments or even just plain 'ole pots and pans!
4. Cook fun meals together :) Have your little one mix ingredients together or garnish a dish.
5. Decorate desserts or snacks with chocolate and sprinkles! Mmmmm...chocolate covered pretzels! Baking cupcakes and cookies are just as fun!
6. Have them put on a puppet show or tell them a story, using their stuffed animals as the characters! We made our puppet show theater out of cardboard and painted it with acrylic paint!
7. Draw a picture together using chalk on the sidewalk or even markers on a regular piece of paper.
9. Finger paint on canvases to hang up in your house or give as a gift!
10. Take them to a hands-on art class! I took Ellie to an Art Spark class held at a local children's store, The Spotted Goose. SHE LOVED IT! They had lots of fun projects for the little ones :) Check out their website for more info here ---> www.theartspark.com
11. Paint their face or get their face painted! My lovely sister painted this lovely heart on Ellie! <3
12. Pour rice into measuring cups! Make sure you have a tray or something to catch the loose grains. I have a breakfast in bed tray table for her to play on. It's the perfect level for her height! I scored it from Goodwill for $2.00!! My mom bought her those measuring cups (which she happens to LOVE and use EVERYDAY via Discovery Toys). You can find them here - Measuring Cups via Discovery Toys link.
13. Once she learned how to pour the rice from up really high...we decided to use beans and different colored buttons! She then separated them by color and it was easier to clean up for me ;)
14. Go to the library and borrow books. Sometimes they have free story-times along with arts & crafts, like the Campbell County Library! My sister is the Children's Programmer there. The best part of all of this...it's FREE FUN!
15. Learning math early on is always a PLUS! Get out those coins and cash them in!
17. Couch race-tracks with decorative tape! I used checkered duct tape I bought from Target.
18. Go to your local book store for a book signing! The Blue Manatee is a local bookstore that has some really great events for the kids. It's one of our favorite places to go :) At this event, the children got to meet and greet the author of Crafty Chloe, Kelly DiPucchio! Be sure to check her website and blog!
We've even made fun couch forts, played kitchen, watered plants, played picnics inside and outside, too. The possibilities are endless. Do you have any fun things you do to keep your kiddos occupied? What are they? I'd love to hear some of your ideas, too :) If you have a question about how to do a particular one, from the list above, just contact me! I'll be happy to share how we did any of our projects. Thanks for stopping by again and have a wonderful summer!